Join Me on a Journey

My church began a 12 step program called Celebrate Recovery. At first I was like so many that thought that this was only for alcoholism and drug addiction. How wrong I was! This program addresses everything you can possibly imagine. It is applicable to every person. We all have something to recover from even it is just plain old pride. Join me in my journey to recover from co-dependency and any thing else I will happen to discover on this journey.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Lesson 4 - Sanity - Revisted

Boy, has it been emphasized how insane my life is.  Here, there, and everywhere at one time. 

One of the questions asked in this lesson is "how has trusting only in your own feelings and emotions gotten you in trouble?"  That's another deep question.  Going on my own reactions and feelings has been detrimental in my life.  I get angry and if I react with that anger I say things that I later regret.  Emotions are given to us by God, but how we use them is usually not of Him. 

My emotions are usually that of flight.  I would love to crawl under a rock and hide from the world.  I hate to have confrontation with others.  I like peace and smooth sailing, yet if I act with my emotions, I run right into confrontation.  The feelings of hurt can cause a fight if I act on them.  The feelings of anger when wronged can cause a myriad of issues if I followed through.

Emotions can manipulated by others.  It is a feeling of the moment and not a true rock to stand on.  That is why it is wrong to fully rely on them and let them run our lives.

Emotions getting me into trouble?  By opening my mouth and speaking by thoughts.  This usually does  not turn out well.  I have shown myself as a child by relying on my emotions.  That is why when something happens in my life, I like to withdraw and think about it before reacting.  I need to understand my part in it and what I need to do about it.  Unfortunately, other people in my life want to push it and have it "out" right then and there.  They won't give me the chance to put emotion on the back burner.  Then they get angry that I acted on emotion.  This is where getting over co-dependency is hard when others are in your face all the time.  Give people time to solve their problems.  Let them think on them and let God talk to them.  They should be hearing God's voice and not yours.

1 comment:

  1. I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. See the link below for more info.


    #sanity
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete