Join Me on a Journey

My church began a 12 step program called Celebrate Recovery. At first I was like so many that thought that this was only for alcoholism and drug addiction. How wrong I was! This program addresses everything you can possibly imagine. It is applicable to every person. We all have something to recover from even it is just plain old pride. Join me in my journey to recover from co-dependency and any thing else I will happen to discover on this journey.

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Defining Co-dependence #1

I never thought that I was co-dependent until I read one of the flyers from Celebrate Recovery.

The first description was "My good feelings about who I am stem from being loved by you."

I have to admit that I didn't jump up and claim that this described me. Do I desire to be loved? Yes. Would knowing that my husband didn't love me devastate me? Yes. So I was ready to skip that description. But then I took it past my immediate family and hit the emotional brick wall.

So much of my self-esteem hung on the approval of my extended family including the in-laws. I was always trying to be accepted and loved. I would try to dress a certain way to get the approval. I would fix my hair a certain way. I tried to learn to cook better. I tried to be good at SOMETHING to get that pat on the back. And always failing. Depression would set in.

Oh, my. I can say yes to the first one. I do depend too much on others' approval for my self-worth.

I did not want to go on to the next one. This was devastating enough to me. I was never going to be good enough for any of them so why keep trying. I only need to please God and He cares about my heart and not about appearances.

Growing up is painful.


No comments:

Post a Comment