Join Me on a Journey

My church began a 12 step program called Celebrate Recovery. At first I was like so many that thought that this was only for alcoholism and drug addiction. How wrong I was! This program addresses everything you can possibly imagine. It is applicable to every person. We all have something to recover from even it is just plain old pride. Join me in my journey to recover from co-dependency and any thing else I will happen to discover on this journey.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Lesson 4 - Sanity

I will freely admit that my life is insane. It has been since I married an ADHD person. But the definition that Pastor John Baker gives for it is the best I've ever heard.

"Insanity has been described as 'doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result each time.'"

Wow! How accurate. We go through life doing the same things over and over again and getting nowhere.

My father was a die hard Kentucky Wildcat fan. I think that he bled blue. Game nights were sitting in front of the TV intently watching each player's move. But the "insanity" came in when a game was on during church or another very important event. He would tape it and then watch it when he got home. Then he would watch it again the next day, and again the next day, and again the next day. One time when he was watching it for about the eighth time, I sat down and watched a few minutes. I said, "You would think that as many times as this game has played that number 3 would realize that he would miss that shot."

Funny, but don't we do that in life? The insanity of my life is always expecting my family to be who they are not. Going through the same motions and expecting them to learn and grow when the message is not clear is insanity.

I need (as well as my family) to make decisions and take action based on wisdom and not on hope and desires. That is the only way sanity will show itself in my life.

1 comment:

  1. I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. See the link below for more info.


    #sanity
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete