Join Me on a Journey

My church began a 12 step program called Celebrate Recovery. At first I was like so many that thought that this was only for alcoholism and drug addiction. How wrong I was! This program addresses everything you can possibly imagine. It is applicable to every person. We all have something to recover from even it is just plain old pride. Join me in my journey to recover from co-dependency and any thing else I will happen to discover on this journey.

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Lesson 2 - Ouch!

Lesson 2 really hurt in Celebrate Recovery. It had to touch on the pride issue.

Pride is what stops us from getting better, seeking help, or growing up. We think that we are perfect. We don't want to admit that we make mistakes. But, guess what? We do.

Pride is not wanting to see the truth before us. Our issues are not that big. We've got it all under control. NOT! We just think that we do. We we go about our lives like this, we are unknowingly playing God.

We cannot get over our alcohol, drugs, co-dependency, or food addictions if we continue to think that we have it all together.

I had a hard time admitting my co-dependency. I was not a slave to anyone. They didn't tell me what to do. But I was deceiving myself. I was not standing on my own two feet. I was allowing family and friends and even society to dictate my life and not let God do it. I felt guilt when I didn't measure up to their expectations. I felt like a nobody when I wasn't good enough. My goals were set based on others opinions. My parenting was reactionary to all those trying to tell me what to do.

I didn't have it under control. I was spiraling in a world of opinions, self-loathing, and resentment.

I am not God! and neither are they!

No comments:

Post a Comment